Most other blogs for TT, for the benefit of future TT-ees, start with a packing list.
Mine’s no different. Well, it might be a little; this one is for boys. So, unlike most of the rest, this list won’t have any bras, bikinis, hair straighteners or other girly stuff. It’s also shorter than some, because I’m flying transatlantic, so it’s designed to go in one bag, weighing less than 20kg.
So here goes (with gratitude to Kendall, the grateful yogini, for hers to start me off):
- 4 pairs of yoga shorts (yes, I know that’s not a lot, but I don’t have time to get more. It’s really only two proper pairs; the other two are ’emergency’ shorts…)
- 1 pair of ordinary shorts
- 8 t-shirts, in varying shades of black
- 1 pair of swimming togs
- 1 pair of jeans (I’ll be wearing my other pair)
- A fleece, or maybe two, depending on space; I haven’t decided yet
- 7 pairs of socks and jocks (not sure if I’ll need all of the socks, but my feet will feel naked without them)
- Sunglasses (I know they’re not really clothing, but I put them on my body, so that’s close enough)
- 1 pair of flip-flops
- Toothpaste and toothbrush
- I’d better bring deodorant
- They say foot cream is a good idea (500 people sweating on the carpet for 63 days = fungi)
- Ear plugs (for errant room-mate and for bollywood movies after midnight)
- Nail clippers
- Multivitamins – lots
- An epi-pen, in case some bastard feeds me shrimp
- A few Band-Aids
- 45SPF lip balm
- Olbas oil (wonderful stuff if your nose is blocked)
- Sun cream
- (The hotel will supply soap and shampoo, won’t they?)
- Flax/Goji Berry/Sunflower seed bag
- 24 bars of G&B Maya Gold, 4 assorted bars of G&B other flavors. 3 more bars of Lindt dark chocolate. Another 8 mystery bars, supplied by a good friend in plain wrapping. I am doing without jeans and underwear so I can make sure chocolate supplies are reasonable. There better be more available when I get to LA.
- 2 packs of Liquorice Yogi Tea
- 5 bags of chewing gum. Having tasted American chocolate, I don’t trust their chewing gum either…
- Himalayan salt, to make up for what I lose in class (OK, I won’t lose Himalayan salt in class; I’ll lose Andrew salt, but Himalayan salt is easier to package; and it’s an attractive shade of pink)
- 2 cameras plus chargers, memory, mini tripod
- Vado video recorder
- Mp3 player plus charger and speakers
- Laptop, mouse & charger
- Nintendo DS
- Phone & charger
- US travel adaptors!
- Bobble water bottle. I might get a second one before leaving
- Yoga mat, and a little bottle of tea-tree oil to help reduce the stench
- Bikram dialog
- Mini moleskine & pens
- Passport, money, proof of where I’m going so US immigration will let me stay for 2 months
- Map of LA
- Mosquito spray? Does anybody know if I’ll need it?
- Neck support pillow thing for 13 hours in the air, and maybe for sitting on during posture clinic
- Oh, and travel insurance documentation!
I’m sure there’ll be more to add. When all this is over, for the benefit of future TT-ers, I’ll try to update with stuff that was particularly useful, and stuff that should’ve been on the list.